Warriors’ Whatton stockpiling Division I offers
March 19, 2020

Warriors’ Whatton stockpiling Division I offers

By Mon Valley Independent

By Jose Negron

jnegron@yourmvi.com

Every other day, it seems as if Chase Whatton is taking to social media to announce yet another scholarship offer. 

The Elizabeth Forward junior has become quite the commodity over the last month and a half, totaling 15 Division I offers up to this point. Schools that have made offers to Whatton include a few from the Ivy League. 

“Honestly, this is all just a dream come true. I’ve dreamed of this since I was in fifth grade,” he said. “I am staying humble through the process, though. Making my family proud has always been my goal, and I’m achieving it at the moment.”

Whatton received his first offer from the University of Buffalo on Feb. 1, opening the floodgates. 

The standout defensive end proceeded to garner three more Division I offers within the next 24 hours, and 11 more followed in the weeks after. 

Whatton also has offers from Toledo, Massachusetts, Penn, Bowling Green, Army-West Point, Ball State, Yale, Akron, Lehigh, Harvard, Cornell, William & Mary, Princeton and Fordham. 

“I’m really happy for Chase. It’s really exciting and I’ve just told him to enjoy the process,” Elizabeth Forward head coach Mike Collodi said. “He’s definitely the most heavily recruited player that I’ve had since being at EF, so it’s sort of new for me to have a player of that caliber being recruited that much.”

To read the rest of this story, please see a copy of Friday’s Mon Valley Independent, call 724-314-0035 to subscribe or subscribe to our online edition at https://e.monvalleyindependent.com.

Grant will bring advanced weather station to Charleroi
Latest News, Main
By TAYLOR BROWN, Senior Reporter 
February 21, 2026
Teacher Eric Selva hopes it will spark curiosity that may expand students’ career options. Soon, students at Charleroi Area School District won’t just be checking the weather. They’ll be forecasting i...
Lawsuit claims Nippon failed to avert fatal Clairton blast
Latest News, Main
February 21, 2026
The complaint alleges employees were stationed above a blast zone. By PAULA REED WARD TribLive A lawsuit filed by the sister of a man killed in an explosion at Clairton Coke Works last summer alleges ...
Our Black Rose offers comfort to families after suicide
Latest News, Main
By SARAH PELLIS spellis@yourmvi.com 
February 21, 2026
Elizabeth Township is getting involved with the program through its junior commissioner. Elizabeth Township Junior Commissioner Brendan Stroschein plans to work with Our Black Rose to bring resources ...
MAWT water system improvements set to begin Monday
Around The Valley, Latest News, Main
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP
February 21, 2026
By the MVI Washington Township Municipal Authority Manager Jan Amoroso announced that work will begin on the first phase of the $5.6 million water system improvements grant awarded to MAWT. The waterl...
Fish fry season kicks off in Fallowfield Township
Around The Valley, Latest News, Main
February 21, 2026
Fallowfield Township volunteer firefighters Cathy Boyle, Christian Popelas and Gavin Pendo hold up fish sandwiches and fries during Friday’s fish fry. Jenn Codeluppi / Mon Valley Independent